Davenport Theatrical Presents
The Second Annual Davenport Songwriting Contest
Broadway Producer Ken Davenport announces the Second Annual Davenport Songwriting Contest! 10 songs will be selected from submissions to be featured in a presentation evening and vie for the title of ‘Best Song’ as chosen by a panel of industry professionals. This year, the judges of the competition will include: Ross Weiner, from the writer’s department at the powerful Paradigm Agency, Tony Nominated Director/Choreographer Dan Knechtges, Abigail Katz, the Director of New Play Development at Atlantic Theater Company, and theatrical blogger and Broadway Producer Ken Davenport.
Finalists will receive a cash prize of $50 and the grand prize winner will receive a cash prize of $500.
Entry rules are as follows:
- Submissions are only accepted digitally (sign up is below).
- Writers may submit multiple songs, but each song submitted must be accompanied by the submission of an entry fee.
- Submissions must include a demo recording (professional quality not required) in addition to lyrics and sheet music.
- The final competition will include a live presentation of the 10 finalists’ songs in NYC on Thursday, April 30th. Finalists are responsible for providing singer(s) and accompaniment for the competition. A keyboard will be provided.
- Submissions must be original and not previously published, recorded, produced or even thought of before this contest. The idea is to create something new . . . so no cheating. Producer’s Perspective Honor System enforced.
- Songs may be of any style, but should be written for the musical theater genre – this means they should elucidate character, be inherently dramatic and/or tell a story (even the comedies!).
- There is a $10 entry fee
Submission deadline is
March 22nd March 27th and finalists will be announced April 10th!
The Second Annual Davenport Songwriting Contest presentations will take place on Thursday, April 30th. Tickets are $10 and can be purchased in advance or at the door. More details to follow.
To receive instructions on how to submit your song into the Second Annual Davenport Songwriting Contest sign up below: