Twelve years ago, I was strolling through a video store (!) on the Upper West Side that is long since gone, and I fell in love . . . with a story.

It was the story of a man who, while strolling through a hotel on Mackinac Island, fell in love with the portrait of a woman, who was long since gone.

And yet somehow he found a way to be with her . . .

It’s the story of Somewhere in Time, of course, the movie and novel by the incomparable author Richard Matheson (I Am Legend, What Dreams May Come, Stir of Echoes, and so many more).

I rented the movie that night I found it in that Upper West Side shop . . . watched it . . . twice . . . and started working on getting the rights to adapt it into a musical the very next day.

It took me five years to get those rights.  But get them I did, and seven years later, I’m thrilled to tell you that Portland Center Stage (in Portland, OR) will present the world premiere this Spring.

I’m also super excited to announce that Scott Schwartz will be directing, John Carrafa choreographing, and Alexander Dodge designing the sets (the rest of the team, as well as the cast, will be announced before you can say, “Is it you?”).

The score is by Emmy Award Winner Doug Katsaros (composer) and Jonathan Larson Award Winner (and nationally ranked crossword puzzle solver) Amanda Yesnowitz (lyricist).  And yours truly is writing the book.

Performances begin on May 28th with a limited run of only 5 weeks.  Because this story is so loved by fans all over the world (check out the fan site here), we expect tickets to be in high demand, so you can get yours now by clicking here.

If you’ve seen the movie or read the novel then you know . . . it just feels like a musical.  And when I tested the title at a focus group a few years ago along with some others names of shows I was working on, it was by far the one that the group was most excited to see.

The whole team has loved putting the show together so far, and I can’t thank Portland Center Stage and Chris Coleman enough for falling in love with the story like I did . . . and to the incredible Richard Matheson, for entrusting it to me and this team.

Like I said at the beginning of this blog, I’ve been working on this idea for awhile.  But now, just like the lead character when he arrives at that hotel and sees that portrait of Elise McKenna . . . the journey has truly begun.

I look forward to giving you an inside peek at the process along the way (sign up here to get all the updates) . . . and I look forward to seeing you in Portland.

And who knows what city we’ll end up in after that.  Maybe something a little closer to home would be nice.  :-)

Here’s hoping you fall in love with our story . . .

Get tickets here.

Check out the official starter website here.

Read the official announcement here.

(Got a comment? I love ‘em, so comment below!  Click here then scroll down to say what’s on your mind!)

——

– Get Your Show Off The Ground!  Workshop coming up on 11/17.  Only a few spots left.  Register today.

-  Win 2 Tickets to Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf!  Click here to enter!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

29 Responses to It’s time for Somewhere In Time. World Premiere Announced!

1. Harriet Harris says:

Ken, What wonderful news.I’m so excited for you.Somewhere in Time is a lovely story and it sounds as if you have an appropriately dreamy team.I’m a sucker for a love story.I look forward to seeing and hearing more about it.

2. Amy Leigh says:

Congrats, Ken! I’m so glad for you that the ‘Time’ is finally near!

3. Kathi Galotti says:

Today is my birthday. The news about “Somewhere in Time” is the best present I could have asked for! Hope it makes the trip to the Big Apple.

4. I’m really happy for you. I needed an excuse to go to Portland. An old friend just asked me for an audition song for that company.

5. Congratulations! This is wonderful news. Portland would be tough for me, but I’ll check it out when it gets here on Broadway!

6. Gary Oppenheim says:

Ken..
    As a man, but more importantly as a human, I’ve been in love with this story since I first shared that 1980 theaters’ gasp at the sudden flash of a simple penny.

You now have my unending gratitude, for your unwavering determination to bring this incomparable dream to reality.. yet again.
    Gary

7. Lynn Manuell says:

I LOVE this film. I also love the soundtrack and hope have included some of the Paganini piece and background music because it is part of what made that so magical…and that Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour and absolutely gorgeous.

8. Stacey says:

Congratulations, Ken! It’s been exciting watching this show evolve at the Librettists Workshop at BMI. And thrilling to know that it’s about to be shared with paying audiences (and premiering in such a cool city!) Looking forward to the updates.

9. Cheryl Palmour says:

This is one of my all time favorite movies. You are right about it being very well suited to being a musical. I hope it comesto NYC. Would love to see it on Broadway. Wishing you much success with this show.

10. Roger Nehls says:

Wow! Love the movie and have watched it man mnay times. It does cry out musical.

Christopher Reeves is still missed!

11. Jaycelane says:

I live maybe 10 minutes from Portland! I’m so excited for this!! Congrats!

12. PDXComposer says:

Congrats on this title. First time I saw the movie I thought it would make a good musical – it screams for song with a surreal fantasy romance. PCS does a terrific job with their occasional musicals and though you’re probably smart to bring in your own stage director, I cannot speak highly enough of PCS’ regular musical director – Rick Lewis. His national credits are impressive too.

I’ll look forward to seeing the show and hope as a long-practicing composer in the industry to catch the previews. I hope you’re workshopping the “heck” of it now. See you when you get here. All the best.

13. Andy Monroe says:

So awesome, Ken! So glad you finally got this going! Congratulations, and may you have a huge hit!

14. Elise says:

Congratulations on your new project! Performed for years in Portland before coming East, and it is a great theater town with enthusiastic audiences especially for musicals. I’m sure everyone will love your piece with the team you’ve assembled. How very exciting!

15. Mary Jane Schaefer says:

Congratulations. The dream is now landing.

16. max gilman says:

Funny, I was just thinking about that movie a day or two ago. What a great idea for a musical. I hope you include Variations on a Theme by Paganini in the show. I had to go out and buy that piece of music once I found out the name of it after watching the movie.

17. Ed from CT says:

Congratulations, Ken! Great to read this news!
    I am very happy for you as I know you have been working towards this for a long time.
    I understand completely about how slow the process can be!
    All the best with it,
    Ed

18. Cheryl says:

Congratulations Ken! I’m so happy for you! Looking forward to hopefully bringing the show to Broadway!

19. Cathie A. says:

Book by Ken Davenport….God that’s got to feel GOOD! congrats Ken, here’s wishing that it does come “closer to home” All Good Gifts!!

20. Shannon D. says:

WOW! Didn’t know you were involved in this project!!!
    I’ve been hearing about it for over a year now and had no idea it was a “secret” … oops :o
    Funny though, I FINALLY just saw the movie not to long ago (thanks to my dvr recording the middle of the night airing of it on a random cable channel)
    . . . CAN NOT WAIT TO HEAR DOUG’s MUSIC… and see how this beautiful movie will be brought to life!
    Congrats to the ENTIRE Team! :)

21. Patty says:

Hi Ken–so glad you pursued this project–just loved the movie–such an unusual and beautiful story. If it took you 12 years for someone to pay attention, guess I only have 6 more to go here in Vegas to get Jacques Brel up and running! Patty

22. Andrew Beck says:

Congratulations! What a coup! But I’ll bet you now have a lot of work ahead of you, so stay steady. Loved the film and the book. Let’s just hope that we don’t hear an announcement that Daryl Roth has finally gotten the rights to Jack Finney’s “Time and Again” is adapting that as musical set to open next fall on Broadway! I have a close friend in Portland so I guess that means Memorial Day in the Rose City! Also, I think the folks at PCS are terrific!

23. Oooo, Portland is only 3 hours south of Seattle. Maybe on one of your trips out west, you could steal an extra day and check out the Emerald City.

I’d be happy to get you tickets to see our dinner-circus-cabaret show, Teatro ZinZanni, if you were in town Wed-Sun. I think we’re a show that New York audiences would go CRAZY for, and if we had a big-time NY producer like Ken Davenport behind it….who knows?

Tim Gonzalez-Wiler
    timgw@zinzanni.org
    Casting Manager and Special Events Producer
    Teatro ZinZanni

24. Kristen Coury says:

Congratulations! What great foresight and vision. This is, I’m sure a fantastic musical and I can’t wait to see it!

25. Susan Daniels says:

LOVE this movie! I have been a fan since it first came out years ago. Time travel is one of my favorite concepts for books, movies, you name it. This movie made me BELIEVE! I look forward to seeing the musical (perhaps here in the DC area someday?)

Sue

26. Richard Atwood says:

Somewhere In Time, and Doctor Zhivago are perhaps the greatest of love stories ever filmed; really aching to see the play. I’ve actually rather lived through both, and it still hurts. Throw in Umbrellas of Cherbourg and Brokeback Mountain… and you will see a grown man cry. (Surely you will get Jane Seymour to attend!)

27. Linda Apgar says:

Ken,

Congratulation! I know that making this wonderful movie into a musical play has been a dream of yours
    for a long time. Best of Luck!! I can’t wait to see
    how your set designer Alexander Dodge will create the magnificent Grand Hotel from Mackinac Island onto the stage.

28. Richard Darlak says:

Hello Ken: We have been communicating of and on for awhile now and I am REALLY excited for you and the fact that Somewhere In Time is finally opening in Portland.I wish you all the luck in the world on this great new venture! I cannot wait to see this production! I have been a loyal member of INSITE since its beginnings so this story holds much emotion for me. Congrats Ken…