When was the last time there wasn’t a Sondheim show on Broadway?

Everyone knows that the great Mr. S. has had a major impact on the Broadway stage, right?

Well, get this.

Our office just noticed that there isn’t a show with songs by our “Shakespeare”  this season.  And for some reason that felt a little odd.

So we started sorting through the last few seasons of shows and realized it was odder than we thought.

In fact . . .

This is the first year since . . . ready for it . . . 1992 (!) that there hasn’t been a Sondheim show on The Great White Way.  Don’t believe me?  Check for yourself!

Shocking, right?  Shocking that there isn’t one, and shocking that for the last twenty years the Maestro has had some kind of representation on the boards.

What does this mean?  An anomaly?  Have we finally run out of his shows to revive?  Or, gulp, is he falling out of favor?  I don’t see any works slated for next season either . . . will it be two years in a row (trend alert).  Or will Passion move and put us back on track?

All those questions aside . . . I’ll end with this.  We should all stop for a moment and remark on the incredible feat that this man has achieved.  A show with your songs each year for 20 years?  Like it or not, recouping or not, this dude is a deity.

_ _

– Win two tickets to Kinky Boots!  Click here!

• Jared W says:

I can’t imagine that Sondheim has fallen out of favor. I think we really have just run out of shows of his to revive. Also, let’s not forget that the Public tried to make “Into the Woods” happen, but a combination of lackluster reviews, lack of theatres, and probably Amy Adams’ schedule put an end to that.

If I had to guess, I’d put money on “Forum” being the Sondheim show that returns next.

• Sondheim is really also a member of the Arts community with whom I have corresponded with since 1994, and from whom he has been a booster and supporter of my work, when many other colleagues were unresponsive, Sondheim was always there to respond and care.

• Emma says:

What about a little night music in 2009?

• AARON LOO says:

(To the music of There’s Nothing like a Dame)
    There is nothing like Sondheim
    Nothing in the world!
    There is nothing better than Sondheim
    His music sublime will outlast time

(It was a crime with the forced rhymes!)

• What about “Sunday in the Park with George” form the Menier Chocolate Factory (London) that was here some 7 years ago? Not to mention last year’s tremendous revival of Follies? and “A Little Night Music” the year prior….
    Something wrong with your query.
    Are you referring to a NEW WORK by Sondheim on Broadway?
    BTW, just caught Ryan Silveman in “Passion”, he was marvelous. He is your “Richard” for “Somewhere in Time,” yes? Ah, great casting!

• He is not absent in Greenville, SC. The last three seasons have brought us SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM, A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC, A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM and SWEENEY TODD.

• Michael PZ says:

I clicked on your Sondheim link and noticed West Side Story was revived twice very soon after the original – and one revival was 3 weeks long???? Inquiring minds want to know…..what happened?

• john says:

and really digging back…. since 1970 there have only been 4 seasons in the past 43 that haven’t had a Sondheim piece…WOW!!!

• Bryan David says:

Dear Mr. Davenport, et al:

No ‘sour-grapes’ implied or intended but I for one am glad that there is NOT another revival of Sondheim. With revivals taking up space on the boards there is little room for NEW musicals like, “Kinky Boots”

As a(yet-to-be) undiscovered Playwright & Lyricist of over a dozen original works; it a welcomed changed to see you Producing something/anything new even if it’s yet to be anyone of a dozen + works of mine as of yet. This too shall change. I am involved in a series of table readings & Play submissions.

You Sir have taught me that show business is both equal parts; Show & Business. It takes vision & guts to try something new even if it is with two well known persons (Book-Writer & Music/Lyricists) at least this time is NEW & ORIGINAL. Thank you for that.

Bryan David
    Playwright & Lyricist

P.S. Yes I can put your money where my mouth is.
    I can & will employ the next generation of Actors, Stagehands & the crew/team it will take to make it there.

• Andrea says:

Looking at the ibdb site, I saw that in the 57 years Sondheim has been on broadway, 9 of those years there was not a show or concert of his that was on broadway. Still, that is quite an accomplishment. Not too many people can say that.

• Stevie says:

There’s a glorious revival of Passion in NY at the moment. Granted it’s off broadway but that should count. Sondheim is rarely if ever not professionally shining in Manhattan and that’s exactly how it should be.

• Kile Ozier says:

GREAT slogan for a t-shirt:
    …this dude’s a deity”

• Be certain to secure this with waterproofing silicon, as well as
    drilling it into place for a secure fit. Many hand tools are automatic and are generally powered
    by electricity. The selection of traditional mouldings run the gamut from
    elaborate to simple, to suit every d.