Pin this! Pinterest takes off – can you benefit?

Wait.

You don’t know what Pinterest is?  Hmmmm, what’s the best way to describe it.

How about this:

Pinterest is . . . the 16th highest trafficked website in the US.

Got your attention yet?

And, just like I bet that Twitter would take off back in 2008 (for fun, read that post – I liked to say the word “twit” instead of “tweet” – hey it was 2008!), I’m predicting that Pinterest will move up that list a few more notches before this year is up.

Just check out this hockey stick of a growth curve over the last six months.  Talk about a tipping point!

So seriously, what is Pinterest and how can you use it for your show?

Pinterest is . . . an electronic bulletin board.  It’s e-scrapbooking. Or the inside of an e-locker.

It’s a place where you e.jpgn pictures of things you love.

You grab photos from anywhere on the web of anything on the web, and you just put them up on your page. And then other people cruise your pages, comment on them, repin your pix, and . . . that’s it.

And, here’s why it’s something that theatrical marketers need to pay attention to . . . the primary user of Pinterest is (and I’d almost say “only” user of Pinterest) . . . is female.

It’s loved by women, lots and lots of women.  Users are younger than the traditional theatergoer, of course, but give it some time.

Lots of wedding pages, lots of fashion pages, food pages, and more.

So Pinterest is gonna be huge(r).

But the concept of why it’s going to be even bigger is even more interesting.  Follow this path of our consumption of content.

We started with articles . . . then we went to blogs, which were a bit shorter . . . then we went to even shorter tweets . . . and now, it seems, that we’re going to simply . . . images.  We don’t even want to read a thing to understand who/what we’re looking at it. We just want to get it. Instantly.

Shocking, isn’t it?  A little scary, maybe.  I mean what comes next?

Check out Pinterest here.  In typical early adopter fashion, you need to “apply” for a page.  But soon enough everyone will be able to get one.  And then Pinterest’s traffic will really take off (and I’d imagine Facebook is already figuring out to how to incorporate the concept of image-only into their network).

How do you use Pinterst for your show?

Check out tomorrow’s post.

But before that . . . let’s take a little poll?  Comment below if you already knew about Pinterest before this post?  And let us all know if you have a page!

(Got a comment? I love ’em, so comment below! Email subscribers, click here, then scroll down, to say what’s on your mind!)

——

– Win two tickets to see If It Only Even Runs A Minute!  Click here.

– Take the How To Market Your Show With No Money seminar on 3/20!  ONLY A FEW SPOTS LEFT!  Click here.

– Take the Musical Boot Camp!  Click here for info and an application.

– Broadway Road Trip from DC on 4/28.  Click here.

Comments
  • Jennifer says:

Yes! And I use it for our new play development company http://www.pinterest.com/ptnj

• Paige says:

I’ve been using pinterest since October and it is definitely addictive. And spreading FAST!
    There’s actually already a sort of companion site (pinpuff.com) that scores how influential your pins might be based on how many people follow you and how often you get re-pinned.
    My theatre company used for a production we did of Lysistrata to share dramaturgical information with the cast and it would definitely be easy enough to take it the step further to share with the audience.

• Malini says:

I knew about it through a friend who loves loves loves it. I have to figure out how to use it for Black Henna and my other projects.

• I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to use Pinterest and I’m looking forward to your next post.
    So far I’ve seen it used for dramaturgical work. A few directors have used it to help convey their production concepts to designers, as well.
    Personally, I’ve found it difficult to get addicted to the site. I will admit there’s a certain validation you get when you get repinned by a complete stranger.

• Nancy Paris says:

I had a friend (female) who posted on Facebook that Pinterest was a rabbit hole that she could definitely fall through. I’m looking forward to your post tomorrow…I’ve got tons of pictures from our show, Ballroom Rocks.

• Karen Soper says:

I have a Pinterest page, and have a pic up of Lorelai with her Godspell tattoo!

• Sue says:

Of course I knew about Pinterest. Many of my GFs (girlfriends) use it, but I am not going there … yet. Trying to avoid it as long as possible because the computer already eats up enough time as it is. I scrapbook (the traditional way, with paper, remember that??) and I save clippings and articles, in digital format that is. . . >sighsighing again< Sometimes it's all such a chore, especially facebook. Ugh.

• Stephen says:

Yes just set up a page for our Theatre. Wanted to add a pin it button to our site but…can you believe it our website company don’t know about it!

• Bryan Austermann says:

I knew about it because a friend of mine used it for a place to store creative impulses for a production of Woyzeck that he is directing this semester.
    I applied for a page, but never went any further than that. Maybe I should.

• Elise says:

I learned about it about 3 weeks ago at my survival job. I work for a bridal dress designer and yes we have many boards – All the girls at work contribute: Jenny Yoo Collection
    But I don’t have a personal one. I suppose as an actress, I could pin show posters to a board.

• I was granted permission to join Pinterest (ooo, how very elitist and special I felt) on 12/23/11, and to date I have exactly 15 pins on my boards. I did the Pin it addon to Google Chrome and Firefox, so I could ALWAYS be able to pin something when inspired. Well, you’ve seen how many times I’ve been inspired. a whole 15 times.
    My boards are:
    “Cuz I like it” – 3 pins of cool images by artist Paul Blaines
    “Valentine’s Day” – 2 pins of interesting alternative heart craft projects for my wife (didn’t do either of them)
    “Cool things I want” – 3 pins of DIY things I’d like decorating my house
    “Circus” – 3 pins (circus is my industry I work in)
    “Favorite Places” – 4 pins….places I’ve visited in the world that I love
    Honestly, I’m pretty tapped out on time suck internet applications. I think my last pin was about 6 weeks ago, and I hadn’t really thought about Pinterest until seeing this blog today.
    Then again I’ve never really jumped on the Twitter bandwagon and actually thought, “that one will never take off.” So, what do I know. ;o)
    Tim Gonzalez-Wiler
    Casting Manager, Teatro ZinZanni

• Tamra says:

I got one about a week ago… Right now it’s annoying me because I’ve only pinned one thing and have already gotten about 20 people following me or whatever it’s called… Haven’t had one to really explore it yet

• Dave says:

Just learned about it a few weeks ago, and checked it out. Browsing got boring after not very long, and didn’t know what to really look for or how – guess I didn’t know how to use it the way it’s intended. But then, I’m male.

• Eva says:

Was it created by Harold.Sorry I couldn’t resist.

• Kristi R-C says:

I’m avoiding it until the copyright issues are clarified.

• I known of Pinterest for quite some time, but have never ‘applied’. I’ve been reluctant to spend more time ‘windowshopping’ on the pc, and not convinced that I would actually carry through on all the recipes, crafts, etc. that people pin to their boards. But if would help with my plays and production company, I’d definitely change my mind!

• supra sport says:

Perfect! I bookmarked you site!

• Elizabeth says:

I applied for a page about 4 or 5 months ago but didn’t start actually pinning until January. I am now legitimately obsessed. I have found so many great ideas that I didn’t know existed. Pinterest is going to be huge for us Theatre people. No longer will we have random pictures taped up around the office. It’s organization at its finest!

• Margaree says:

I have a pinterest page but haven’t pinned anything yet.

• Katie O'Brien says:

I did know about Pinterest before this! 😀 My friend kept bugging me to apply for one.
    Personally, I don’t find it that addicting…I like Tumblr better XD But I do have a page on Pinterest now! 😀

• Kaitlyn says:

I’ve known of Pintrest for the past several months. Mostly through Ravelry (it’s a knit and crochet community, it just reached 2 million members last week!). But I’m just NOW figuring out how to use it. It’s not complicated, I just didn’t understand it. Like when I first got on Get Glue, I didn’t understand. But it’s cool, and fun, and seems like it’ll be another addiction in my life, like Twitter and Tumblr.

• Shannon D. says:

I didn’t know of it… but I will sooooo apply for a page and BLASTER it with Broadway and Off-Broadway stuff!!! 🙂

• I just signed up a few days ago. I have a Godspell pin up. 🙂

• Lizeeek says:

Yeah, have been on it for a week or so. It’s ok but I prefer Tumblr where you can blog or add media.

• This blog give s information about pinterest because most of us are not aware on what pinterest is and its function.

• guynellk@yahoo.com says:

My daughter introduced me to pinterest,but you made me realize how valuable it is! Thx. Now I will apply!